If you are currently getting ready to move home, you are no doubt excited about relocating to a new place. However, there is a lot that needs to be planned and organised between now and then. To give yourself the greatest chance of everything going smoothly, read on to discover the common moving home mistakes that you need to avoid.
- Failing to carefully research moving and storage companies – This is a mistake that can most certainly come back to haunt you. Choosing a removal or storage company simply because your friend has recommended them or because they were the cheapest solution you could find is not the best way to go about it. You need to take time to read reviews online to ensure the company has a good reputation. The likes of Magenta Self Storage has received positive feedback and has a good rating, which will put your mind at ease. After all, you don’t want a storage site that is unsecure or a removal company that has a reputation for failing to turn up.
- Not measuring furniture in advance – This is another error that can give you a massive headache. There is nothing worse than getting to your new property only to discover that your sofa does not fit in the living room properly or that your bed is far too big for your bedroom.
- Forgetting about your children and your pets on the moving day – The moving day can be a lot more stressful when you have dogs running around and children that are complaining. It is a good idea to see if you have a friend or family member that will look after your children on the removal day. With regards to pets, the best thing to do is confine them to one room while the removal firm is there. This should be the last room that is dealt with when packing up to leave.
- Not packing a survival kit – It is unlikely that you are going to get to your new place and want to unpack straight away. This is why it is essential to put a survival kit together. This should contain all of the things you are going to need for the first night, ensuring you don’t have to go through the hassle of searching through every box to find your pyjamas.
- Not working out all of the costs – Moving home can be a lot more expensive than you realise, especially if you don’t plan for it. This is why it is important to put together a plan that outlines all of the costs. You will know exactly how much money you need, as well as being able to find out whether you can make savings anywhere.
If you can avoid the mistakes that have been mentioned above, you can give yourself the greatest chance of having a stress-free moving home process. This is something that most people assume is simply unachievable. But a bit of careful planning can certainly go a long way and make a massive difference.